Friday, March 23, 2018

Found Our Drone...Along With A Few Concerns. The Potential for Good AND Bad Drone Uses

So as I was saying in my last post, our favorite drone (the DX-4 that came with the VR kit) had gone down the other night while very windy... Last night Justin's phone rang with a stranger asking him why his drone was in her yard. Well, the good news is she believed us that we weren't downed in her yard from creepily stalking her but because the wind pulled the drone off course and we had been searching for it for a few days.

I have to say it is a bit scary to think what others might be thinking/assuming and where that will lead. Justin, like most men, is a big kid and loves his toys, especially nerdy tech toys like drones. I can see the other side of this too though as we have 3 daughters and I am a woman myself of course so I'm sure I too would be a bit uneasy if I found someone's camera drone in my yard.

Since diving into the world of drones, we have found more uses for drones and have theorized even more that can help us in many ways from search and rescue to business purposes and more. However, nothing we create is only good. Everything has the potential for being used for bad in some way when being operated by a person with bad intentions. Computers can be hacked or save lives, guns can protect us but can also be used by murderers... We face this everyday with everything. What it really comes down to is the people behind the items. As long as humans have existed we have battled against the 'bad apples' in the harvests.

Well, first of all, get informed. As I said about reading ALL the instructional manuals before you fly your drone the first time for YOUR protection against losing or breaking it, it is at least as important to find out where you can and cannot fly your drone. Bigger drones require registration before use and whatnot but most people would be starting with something much smaller and less $$$ that does not require such things. If you are that impatient please at least get one of the apps that tell you what no fly zones are near you. There are many apps available to help you not only with knowing where it is OK to fly but that can help you with planning a flight and keeping track of it's location or find it if you lose it (*some can find all drones nearby but some you have to sync with your drones for them to track them). It's been my experience that knowledge IS power and that it is people who make things bad by poor judgement and choices.

While I find that information on drones is still not as easy to find as it will be soon, there are plenty of resources available from apps, books, magazines, videos and more. I will include links and information here as much as I can.

Here is a trilogy of books for the serious drone enthusiast. Drones: The Complete Collection: Three Books In One  Drones: The Professional Drone Pilot's Manual, Drones: Mastering Flight Techniques, Drones: Fly Your Drone Anywhere Without Getting Busted - by Brian Halliday. These books cover a great deal of information that should help anyone become a better drone pilot.

I stumbled upon a free course on Amazon also that is a video series of lessons on specific topics related to drones including where not to fly. Section 6 - Safety, Safety, Safety - 5 - No Fly Zone's

I hope these help.



This is the book from the link above.

No comments: